Whether this is your first concert experience or one hundredth, here's a primer on your orchestral experience with us.
Where do you perform?
- Although the Richmond Philharmonic doesn't have a permanent home venue, we partner with many great locations around town for each performance. Check out the details for each performance for directions on where to go.
- The orchestra will be wearing what orchestras traditionally wear - tuxedos and formal black outfits - but you can wear whatever you want. We just want you to be comfortable!
- Come to the pre-concert talk before each performance. They start one hour before the advertised performance time and last for 30 minutes - this gives you time to stretch your legs before the music begins
- Check out the information for each concert on homepage. You'll find links to interesting facts and the Wikipedia article for each piece.
- Listen to the Spotify playlist - this has been curated by our Music Director to give you the best preparation for the performance.
- There's two different schools of thought here - to clap when you feel like it or only clap between entire pieces and not between movements. At the RPO, we want you to clap when you feel like it! Here's a good article on the history and etiquette on clapping.